Transformation Series, Part 7
We serve a God of glory and goodness. He calls us to know Him, to follow Him and also to rejoice in Him. This messages focuses on passages in the Bible about rejoicing. God calls us to rejoice, giving us reasons for rejoicing and in so doing, it changes us to be more like Him.
Transformation Series Part 7
Growth through Celebration
Dave Spooner – Mosaic Rockford – Nov. 15th, 2015
- Fruitfulness is the goal – loving God and loving people
- Intentionally putting these principles into our lives will enable us to bear much fruit.
- This was goes out to the workaholic, those who take things way to seriously and all of us who have trouble seeing the bright side of things.
- It is time to give yourself a pep talk as David did in Psalm 42
Ps 42:5-6 NIV
Why are you downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him,
my Savior and my God.
- Happiness is about the horizontal – joy is about the vertical
Called to rejoice
Ex 23:14-17 HCSB
Celebrate a festival in My honor three times a year. 15 Observe the Festival of Unleavened Bread . . . 16 Also observe the Festival of Harvest with the firstfruits of your produce from what you sow in the field, and observe the Festival of Ingathering at the end of the year, when you gather your produce from the field.
- – to honor God
- For his deliverance (unleavened bread)
- For his provision (firstfruits)
- For his faithfulness (ingathering)
- We are prone to forget where our help comes from . . .
- – to honor God
Phil 4:4-5 NIV
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!
- Knowing that he is coming is near . . . .
Reasons to rejoice
- I’m going to give you many eternal and scriptural reasons to rejoice
- Rejoice in your work
Deut 12:18 NIV
you are to rejoice before the Lord your God in everything you put your hand to.
- Rejoice in the blessing of God
Deut 12:7 NIV
rejoice in everything you have put your hand to, because the Lord your God has blessed you.
- Rejoice in what you have
Deut 26:11 NIV
rejoice in all the good things the Lord your God has given to you and your household.
- Rejoice in seeking the Lord
1 Chron 16:10 NIV
let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice.
- Rejoice in your salvation
Ps 9:14 NIV
rejoice in your salvation.
- Rejoice in God’s love
Ps 31:7 NIV
I will be glad and rejoice in your love,
for you saw my affliction
and knew the anguish of my soul.
- Rejoice in the promises of God
Ps 119:162 NIV
I rejoice in your promise
like one who finds great spoil.
- Rejoice in love
Song 1:4 NIV
We rejoice and delight in you;
we will praise your love more than wine.
- Rejoice in your marriage
Prov 5:18 NIV
rejoice in the wife of your youth.
- Rejoice in your children
Prov 23:15-16 NIV
My son, if your heart is wise,
then my heart will be glad;
16 my inmost being will rejoice
when your lips speak what is right.
- Rejoice in your reward
Luke 6:23 NIV
Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their fathers treated the prophets.
- Rejoice that your name is written in heaven
Luke 10:20 NIV
rejoice that your names are written in heaven.
- Rejoice when the lost are found
Luke 15:6 NIV
Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.
- Rejoice when sinners repent
Luke 15:7 NIV
I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents
- Rejoice in hope
Rom 5:2-3 NIV
rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.
- Rejoice in suffering
Rom 5:3 NIV
rejoice in our sufferings,
- Rejoice with those who rejoice
Rom 12:15 NIV
Rejoice with those who rejoice
- Rejoice that Christ is preached
Phil 1:18 NIV
Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.
Benefits of rejoicing
Prov 17:22 NIV
A cheerful heart is good medicine,
Neh 8:10 NIV
the joy of the Lord is your strength.
Hab 3:17-19 NIV
Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.
19 The Sovereign Lord is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.
- Give yourself a pep talk – remind yourself of the truths of scripture – choose to rejoice – internally take time to celebrate and give thanks
- Prayer People
- Transition to communion