God wants you to thrive because of the glory it brings to Him, the benefits it brings to others and the joy it brings to you. This is an important message that can shape your life and your eternity.
Thrive Part 2
The Importance of Abundant Life
Mosaic Rockford – Dave Spooner – July 24th, 2016
- Today is part two of a message I am calling “Thrive – the importance of abundant life” where we are to understand the reason Jesus came, and how we are to implement His life in us for the glory of God, benefit of the world and our joy.
- To refresh our memories from last week, here is a review of the ground we have covered so far.
The reason Jesus came
John 10:10b ESV
I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.
- Jesus came to give us abundant life
- In quantity
- In quality
The way of abundant living
(Based in John 15)
- Continual pruning
- of things in our lives that do not bear fruit
- Consistent abiding
- By keeping His words in us (meditation)
- Be keeping His commandments (application)
Ps 1:1-2 ESV
Blessed is the man
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
2 but his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law he meditates day and night.
- Starting in the book of Psalms
- “Blessed is the Man” . . . if you want to have the blessing of God on your life then you must do the following . . .
- Emphasis on the application
- Walk in the counsel of the wicked
- Stand in the way of sinners
- Sit in the seat of scoffers
- Delight in the law of the Lord (attitude)
- Meditates day and night
The results of an abundant life
Ps 1:3 ESV
He is like a tree
planted by streams of water
that yields its fruit in its season,
and its leaf does not wither.
In all that he does, he prospers.
- A tree . . . planted by streams of water . . .
- That yield it fruit in its season . . .
- Its leaf does not wither
- In all that he does, he prospers . . .
- We will yield continual fruit
- We will not wither up and die . . .
Dan 4:20-22 ESV
The tree you saw, which grew and became strong, so that its top reached to heaven, and it was visible to the end of the whole earth, 21 whose leaves were beautiful and its fruit abundant, and in which was food for all, under which beasts of the field found shade, and in whose branches the birds of the heavens lived— 22 it is you, O king, who have grown and become strong. Your greatness has grown and reaches to heaven, and your dominion to the ends of the earth.
- God wants you to thrive because of the glory it brings to Him, the benefits it brings to others and joy it brings to you (as individuals and as a community).
- “Which Grew and became strong” . . . note that this is a process . . .
- Strength – strong
- Reach – top reached to heaven – visible to the end of the whole earth
- Beauty – leaves were beautiful
- Fruitfulness – fruit abundant
- Provision –food for all
- Comfort – which beasts of the field found shade
- Habitation – birds of the heavens lives
- It is for you but it is not about you . . . this all has to be for His glory and our good
- Tell my kids, and students and to you . . . be all you can be for the benefit of others
- And when you and we thrive we have to be mindful that we do not become proud
- The rest of the story about King Nebuchadnezzar becoming proud
- The reason Jesus came was to give us an abundant life in quantity and quality
- We live this out be continual pruning and consistent abiding – be keeping meditation and application of His word
- We do this because of the glory it brings to Him, the benefits it brings to other and joy it brings to you.