Every person wants to thrive. God wants you to thrive for reasons that go far beyond you. This message focuses on the importance of thriving abundantly.
Thrive Part 1
The Importance of Abundant Life
Mosaic Rockford – Dave Spooner – July 17th, 2016
- Today we are going to see the reason Jesus came, and how were are to implement His life in us for the benefit of the world and the glory of God.
The reason Jesus came
John 10:10b ESV
I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.
- Jesus came to give us abundant life
- In quantity
- Eternal salvation
- John 11:25-26 ESV
- In quantity
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.
- In quality
- Way of the Spirit producing the fruit of the Spirit . . .
- 2 Tim 1:7 ESV
for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
The way of abundant living
John 15:1-3 ESV
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2Every branch of mine that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you.
- Continual pruning
- of things in our lives that do not bear fruit
John 15:7-9a ESV
If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. 9 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love
- Consistent abiding
- By keeping His words in us (meditation)
- By keeping His commandments (application)
Ps 1:1-3 ESV
Blessed is the man
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
2 but his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law he meditates day and night.
3 He is like a tree
planted by streams of water
that yields its fruit in its season,
and its leaf does not wither.
In all that he does, he prospers.
The result of an abundant life
Dan 4:20-22 ESV
The tree you saw, which grew and became strong, so that its top reached to heaven, and it was visible to the end of the whole earth, 21 whose leaves were beautiful and its fruit abundant, and in which was food for all, under which beasts of the field found shade, and in whose branches the birds of the heavens lived . . .
- God wants you to thrive because of the benefits it brings to others and the glory it brings to Him as individuals and as a community
- Strength – Reach – Beauty – Fruitfulness – Provision – Comfort – Protection – Habitation
- It is for you but it is not about you . . . King Nebuchadnezzar became proud . . . this all be for His glory and our good
- Eternal reward
- The reason Jesus came was to give us an abundant life in quantity and quality
- We live this out by continual pruning and consistent abiding – by keeping meditation and application of His word
- We do this because of the benefits it brings to others and the glory it brings to Him