A Father’s Day Message
Mosaic Rockford – Dave Spooner – June 17th, 2018
- Today’s message is modeled after the Beatitudes that Jesus gave at the sermon on the Mount (Matt. 5). I call them “The Be-Dad-Attitudes” and if you follow them you, your family and the world will reap a rich reward. Because of you, the world will be better than when you found it.
- By no means is this an exhaustive list, however these will be very helpful to dads in their role as a father to children, as well as for all of us. I want you to write them down and think about them more than just our time together here this morning. It is good that you are here to listen to this today, but this is the easy part. The real power and the real results come when you put these things into practice. I want you to commit them to practice and they will serve and guide you well. So, each point is modeled in the form of a beatitude with a corresponding scripture in which each principle is grounded.
Blessed are the loving for theirs is a harmonious family
Col 3:14 ESV
put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.
- If you want a family that is close and stays together and if you want a family that works in beautiful harmony with one another, love is the only binding agent and the only substance that will hold you all together. Nothing else will work and nothing else will hold. So, Dad, you are the one to lead the way in “putting on love.”This is something that is seen by others (like the clothing you wear). If you set the tone and create a place where love lives, the family will be close to each other and work so wonderfully well together. Fight for love, live in love, and cultivate a family who loves one another. Be aware of the level of love between people and be a champion for it in your home.
Blessed are the teachers for they will be followed
Prov 22:6 ESV
Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
- Train them up. This is a continual You must be their life coach by training and teaching them to think and act like adults (they already know how to be kids). The sooner you start this, the easer it is. They want to be like you, especially when they are young. They want to be with you and they will believe what you tell them. They will listen to you, so teach them the way they should go and show them what they are to do. How many of us still hear the voices of our parents talking to us and showing us the way? (Ill. of left and right, fishing, throwing a football, driving a car).
Blessed are the involved for they will be known
Mal 4:6 ESV
he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers, lest I come and strike the land with a decree of utter destruction.”
- You must be involved in the lives of your children. Do everything you can to be present and attentive as much as you can. Share your life with them, talk to them, do stuff together, involve them in your life, take them out, tell them stories about you, show them and tell them who you are. One of the ways that God works in our hearts is to turn them to our children. If you have a heart for your children, you have the heart of God. And in turn, you will see God working in the hearts of your children to turn them to you and also to Him. One of the greatest gifts in the world is to be fully known and fully loved. So be known to them and know them. In so doing, you will be blessed.
Blessed are the wise for they will be honored
Prov 3:35 ESV
The wise will inherit honor
- If you are wise, you will be honored: honored in how your life turns out and honored how you are sought out and treated by others.
Prov 4:5-9 ESV
Get wisdom; get insight; do not forget, and do not turn away from the words of my mouth. 6 Do not forsake her, and she will keep you; love her, and she will guard you.7 The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom, and whatever you get, get insight. 8 Prize her highly, and she will exalt you; she will honor you if you embrace her. 9 She will place on your head a graceful garland; she will bestow on you a beautiful crown.”
- Wisdom is a tree that gives freely to those who ask. You will be sought out by many if you choose to be a man of wisdom. Do everything you can to gain it, always learn and be a learner. You and all who come after you will be blessed for it if you do.
Blessed are the fun for they will be healthy
Prov 17:22 ESV
A joyful heart is good medicine
- Sometimes we dads are just too serious. Make sure you have fun: schedule it and choose to be fun. Don’t take yourself or others too seriously. Be fun-loving and fun to be around. Enjoy life, tell some jokes, laugh often and do something just for fun. Humor is the lubricant of life that makes everything run smoothly. Humor is also helpful in healing wounds. In doing so, your family and your life will be healthy.
Blessed are the strong for they will be respected
1 Cor 16:13-14 ESV
Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. 14 Let all that you do be done in love.
- Be watchful – pay attention to what is going on within you and within the family. You have a duty to be on guard for things that want to destroy your family. Stand firm in your faith. Lead the way for you family: be the one that sets the pace in reading your Bible, praying and growing spiritually. Act like men – be mature in your thinking and in your actions. Be strong and do everything in love. The world does not need weak men, but strong men who do everything in love. So many of the problems of the family and the world would be solved if we do these things.
Heb 12:9 ESV
we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them.
- Set the standard and hold the line. Be the one who disciples the children because you love them. If you do, they will respect you for it and be blessed because of it. The world does not need any more undisciplined people. Disciple focuses us and keeps us within the “banks” of life. Without it, we can destroy ourselves and take others with us. We will never reach our full potential without it.
Blessed are the consistent for they will be trusted
James 5:12 ESV
let your “yes” be yes and your “no” be no, so that you may not fall under condemnation.
- When you say something, do it! Follow through on your words. Don’t say one thing and then do another. Your family will be hurt, and you will not be trusted. If you are not trusted, they will not feel safe around you. If they do not feel safe around you, they will be defensive and guarded around you. If they are defensive and guarded, you will not know them well or be involved in their lives. Do everything in your power to keep your word to your family. If you do so, you will be trusted, and if you are trusted, they can build on the solid foundation of who you are.
Blessed are the encouraging for they will be rewarded
Col 3:21 ESV
Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged
- Don’t be the source of their discouragement. Do not focus on the negative but help them to see what they can do and help them to build upon those strengths. (focus on the positive and not the negative) Way too often, dads are the ones who are quick to point out the negative . . . bless them by encouraging them. In encouraging them they will branch out and grow.
1 Thess 5:11-12 ESV
Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.
- So, encourage them!!! Give them courage to try something new and spread their wings! Be their biggest support. In doing so, you will build them up and in building them up, they will grow and become, strong, confident, secure children. If you do not, they will be insecure and far less than what they could be.
Blessed are the godly for theirs is an eternal legacy
Prov 20:7 ESV
The righteous who walks in his integrity – blessed are his children after him!
- Children who have fathers that lack integrity are never blessed (the same throughout). Children know if you are one way with others, and a different way at home. They will learn from your duplicity and it will not help them at all. Be the same everywhere. Live with integrity – be a man of honor. If you are, your children will be blessed by who you are and the fruits of your labor.
Ps 112:1-2 ESV
Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who greatly delights in his commandments! 2 His offspring will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed.
- If you want your offspring to be mighty in the land and if you want them to be blessed, then live as one who fears the Lord and closely follows Him! Your offspring will be mighty – they will be giants and make a difference in the world. Give them the firm foundation to launch from, give them the coaching and character they need, give them the principles and practices to go far. Love them well and launch them into the world. Be a man who fears the Lord and who greatly delights in the commandments of God – then your offspring will be mighty in the land!
- So here again are the Be-Dad-Attitudes for you to have and put into practice. You and your family will be blessed if you faithfully put them into practice.
- Blessed are the loving for theirs is a harmonious family
- Blessed are the teachers for they will be followed
- Blessed are the involved for they will be known
- Blessed are the wise for they will be honored
- Blessed are the fun for they will be healthy
- Blessed are the strong for they will be respected
- Blessed are the consistent for they will be trusted
- Blessed are the encouraging for they will be rewarded
- Blessed are the godly for theirs is an eternal legacy