Simon Says – Part 8
The foundation of the Christian Faith is centered not in a book, but it an event, the resurrection of Jesus Christ. This messages focuses on how we are to learn from the Apostle Peter what Christ has done and what this means for us.
Simon Says – A Study in 1st Peter
1 Peter 1:17-21Transformational Truth Part 2
Dave Spooner – Mosaic Rockford – March 8th, 2015
- We are looking at these verses that continue to give us foundational truths that we are to base our lives on.
- Peter instructs us to live our lives as strangers here in reverent fear.
- This morning we will be focusing in on the redemption of Christ, and the assurance of faith.
The redemption of Christ
1 Peter 1:18-20 (NIV)
For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. 20 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake.
- Silver and gold the things so many people treasure the most are they are called perishable – like a bunch for fruit left out on the table. (all this is temporary . . . . so don’t hang on to it so tightly)
- We were redeemed from the empty way of life – handed to us from our forefathers . . .
- Redeemed – In the first century there were slaves, freemen and freed men. A person could be set free from their bondage or servitude. Jesus described his ministry this way
For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.
- Redeemed by the precious blood of Christ . . . the price was what was most precious and sacred (telling us our value)
- The lamb without blemish . . . (brings us back to the Passover)
- He was chosen before the creation of the word . . . what does this tell us? This was the plan all along – and this is the best way for God to demonstrate his love for us – the best way for us to understand his heart.
- And revealed to us on this side of the cross – we know now who he is and what he did for us
Rom 3:23-25 (NLV)
For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard. 24 Yet God, with undeserved kindness, declares that we are righteous. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins. 25 For God presented Jesus as the sacrifice for sin. People are made right with God when they believe that Jesus sacrificed his life, shedding his blood.
- Peter then moves on to give us the foundation of our faith
The assurance of faith
1 Peter 1:21 (NIV)
Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.
- Have you ever wondered about this whole Christianity thing? . . . .
- Through Jesus you believe (rightly) in God . . . why is it not through God we believe in Jesus? (Jesus is the very essence of God).
- God raised Jesus from the dead and glorified him (this means that Jesus did not have the power in himself to resurrects himself – this power came and comes from an outside source).
- So our faith and Hope are in God (because of Jesus and his purchase of us through his blood)
- Jesus’ resurrection is the foundation of our faith, and his glorification is the pledge of the hope of our new future
1 Cor 15:20-23 (NLV)
But in fact, Christ has been raised from the dead. He is the first of a great harvest of all who have died.
21 So you see, just as death came into the world through a man, now the resurrection from the dead has begun through another man. 22 Just as everyone dies because we all belong to Adam, everyone who belongs to Christ will be given new life. 23 But there is an order to this resurrection: Christ was raised as the first of the harvest; then all who belong to Christ will be raised when he comes back.
- Give Jesus the honor and the praise
- Rest assured that your anchor will hold
- Prayer people and prayer for salvation