Simon Says, Part 26
In our concluding message in this series, we are instructed as to how we are to deal with the devil in a way that will result in restoration and eternal glory.
Simon Says – A Study in 1st Peter
1 Peter 5:8-14 Dealing with the Devil
Dave Spooner – Mosaic Rockford – Aug.9th, 2015
- Last part of the series
- Paul ends his letter with instruction and encouragement for living life through difficulty situations and in how to deal with the devil that results in victory and glory.
- There are alive and active supernatural beings interacting with the world today . . .
Be self-controlled and alert
1 Peter 5:8 (NIV)
Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
- Self-controlled . . .
- Because if you are not controlled you are now captive . . . and a foothold can be developed . . .
- Alert . . .
- This is aware – remember that he is the great deceiver . . .
- Your enemy . . . the devil
- He is your enemy . . .
- Accuser, advisory, liar, slanderer, destroyer,
Satan lies, and is the father of lies. John 8:44
Satan blinds the minds of unbelievers. 2 Corinthians 4:4,
Satan masquerades in costumes of light and righteousness. 2 Corinthians 11:13-15 1 Timothy 4:1 Matt. 7:15
Satan does signs and wonders. 2 Thessalonians 2:9
Satan tempts people to sin. (Matthew 4:1-11). (Luke 22:3-6) 2 Corinthians 11:3
Satan plucks the word of God out of people’s hearts and chokes faith. Mark 4:1-9. (Romans 10:17).
Satan causes some sickness and disease. Acts 10:38
Satan is a murderer. (John 8:44). (1 John 3:12)
Satan fights against the plans of missionaries. 1 Thessalonians 2:17-¬18
Satan accuses Christians before God. Revelation 12:10
- Roaring lion . . .
- Lions do not generally roar when they are on the hunt as this will warn their prey of their whereabouts. Roars are not only used to proclaim territory but also to rally straying members of the pride. Roars are to show ownership of their territory. It’s a sign that they are in their territory. Only lions that are part of a pride roar. Solitary lions stay relatively quiet.
- Looking to devour . . . he wants to consume you . . . kill steal and destroy
Resist and stand firm
1 Peter 5:9a (NIV)
Resist him, standing firm in the faith,
- Resistance . . . stand against, oppose, withstand
- How do we do this, Pray.
- Jesus said to Peter in Luke 22:31f, “Satan demanded to have you that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail.”
- Jesus commanded us to pray, “Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil,”—that is, deliver us from the successful temptation of the evil one.
- Ephesians 6:18 says that we are to “take the sword of the Spirit, praying at all times in the Spirit.” In other words all spiritual warfare—all use of the armor of God—is to be done by means of prayer.
- Standing firm in the faith . . . in what you believe . . .
Gain strength from others
1 Peter 5:9b (NIV)
because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.
- We are on a worldwide team that spans time
- We all go through the same kind of sufferings, no one is exempt
Remember this temporary trial will result in eternal glory
1 Peter 5:10-11(NIV)
And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. 11 To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.
- God of grace . . . called us . . . to eternal glory . . . in Christ
- Suffered a little while . . . all of our trials are temporary
- God will
- Restore you
- Make you strong, firm and steadfast
1 Peter 5:12-14(NIV)
With the help of Silas, whom I regard as a faithful brother, I have written to you briefly, encouraging you and testifying that this is the true grace of God. Stand fast in it.
13 She who is in Babylon, chosen together with you, sends you her greetings, and so does my son Mark. 14 Greet one another with a kiss of love.
Peace to all of you who are in Christ.
- With the help of a friend in the context of community . . .
- Peace to all of you who are in Christ . . . this is what he asks and prays for us
- Prayer people / prayer for salvation