Simon Say, Part 25
Simon Says – A Study in 1st Peter
1 Peter 5:1-7 The Role of Pastor
Dave Spooner – Mosaic Rockford – Aug.2nd, 2015
- This part of our series fits perfectly with this evening’s ordination service because it is specific words directed to pastors and leaders.
- Peter is talking from experience when he writes us these things
1 Peter 5:1
To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder, a witness of Christ’s sufferings and one who also will share in the glory to be revealed:
- A witness to and a witness in Christ’s sufferings . . . (past, present)
- But also a look forward to the jointly sharing in the glory that will be reviled (all done with an eye to the future.
1 Peter 5:2-3
Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, serving as overseers — not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; 3 not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock.
Be a shepherd
- It is not what you do, it is who you are
- It is not a job it is a lifestyle
- they guide, they guard, they comfort, They heal, they feed, they correct
- They are the first one up and the last one to sleep
- Remember this is God’s flock that is under your care
- These are not “your people” they are his – you don’t not own anyone . . . but you are responsible for their care . . . God entrusts people to us, and never forsake that trust
- Serve as an overseer
- Someone that “sees over” not just what is happening but also for the future . . .
- Not just where we are at . . . but where we are going
- Manager . . . doing things right . . . and also as a leader . . . doing right things
- Not because you must, but because you are willing
- Not I have too . . . but I get too . . . you will be no go for anyone if what you do is out of obligation and not love
- Not greedy for money
- Money has derailed a many a minister
- Don’t get into this thing because of what you can get out of it, but what you can give to it because God has called you to do so.
“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd sacrifices his life for the sheep. 12 A hired hand will run when he sees a wolf coming. He will abandon the sheep because they don’t belong to him and he isn’t their shepherd. And so the wolf attacks them and scatters The hired hand runs away because he’s working only for the money and doesn’t really care about the sheep. the flock. 13
14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my own sheep, and they know me, 15 just as my Father knows me and I know the Father. So I sacrifice my life for the sheep.
- Talk about the above passage . . .
- Eager to serve
- You are here to serve people . . .
- No lording it over
- If you have to say you are in charge . . . you are not in charge
- Have relational ministry not positional ministry . . .
- But being an example
- Follow me as I follow Christ
- Show not tell . . .
- Have to open your life to people . . .
1 Peter 5:4
And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.
Receive your reward
- This happens in the future when the Chief Shepherd appears . . .
- Work for the greater reward . . . a crown that will never fade away
1 Tim 3:13 NIV
Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus.
James 3:1 NIV
Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.
- Talk about these verses
1 Peter 5:5
Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,
“God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.”
- Be submissive to those who are older . . .
- Be submissive to others . . .
- Don’t believe your own press . . .
- God opposes the proud . . . . but gives grace to the humble
- If you think you can do it all on your own . . . he will let you and oppose you . . .
1 Peter 5:6
Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.
- Don’t lift yourself up . . .
- Let the Lord do so . . .
1 Peter 5:6
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
Cast your cares
- Believe me, you will have anxiety . . . both personal and congregational
- You have to be a person of prayer . . .
- Always remember that he cares for you