Simon Says – Part 2
In this message you will be powerfully encouraged by what God has given you because of His great mercy extended to you through Jesus Christ. You have a new birth, a living hope and an eternal inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade and is ready to be revealed in the last time.
Simon Says – A Study in 1st Peter
1 Peter 1:3-5 Living Hope
Dave Spooner – Mosaic Rockford – Jan. 18th, 2015
- Review – last week we looking at the opening lines of Peter’s letter to us. We covered some significant and powerful concepts in his opening lines.
- That we are elect strangers in the world scattered and by the work of the trinity we are chosen by the foreknowledge of God through the sanctifying work of the Spirit to obedience to Jesus Christ and redemption by His blood
- All of these things causes this great man of God to proclaim . . .
- “Praise be to the God and father of our Lord Jesus Christ!”
- It is so important to praise God . . .
- Pray like this . . . start this way and spend some time here
- It changing the way you think, the way you feel and the way you act.
1 Peter 1:3-5 (NIV)
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade — kept in heaven for you, 5 who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.
- He goes on to tell us more about what God has done and will do for us.
In His great mercy
- Not giving us what we deserve
- of a student
- of Les Miserable (priest with Jon Val Jon)
- God is a God of GREAT Mercy
- Mercy based in love and compassion
- We need to be people of great mercy also
God has given us new birth
- Why is new birth necessary?
- Because our first birth leads to death and judgment
- So a new birth is needed to give us life and mercy
Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God.”
4 “What do you mean?” exclaimed Nicodemus. “How can an old man go back into his mother’s womb and be born again?”
5 Jesus replied, “I assure you, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit. 6 Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives birth to spiritual life. 7 So don’t be surprised when I say, ‘You must be born again.’
2 Cor 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
Into a living hope
- A hope that is alive and active
- A hope that the best is yet to come
- Christians should be the most hopeful people there are . . .
- This hope should also give us the power for living!!!!!
- Confident assurance – great expectation
- Based on the fact of the resurrection
Through the resurrection
- Because He arose – so we will also!
- The resurrection is the most important personally applicable with eternal implications event for all time
- The apostles and others eye witnesses
- Lived and died saying that they were eye witnesses
- This is a fact that happened in time
- They taught and talked about it all the time
The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you. And just as God raised Christ Jesus from the dead, he will give life to your mortal bodies by this same Spirit living within you.
Into an inheritance
1 Peter 1:4-5
into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade — kept in heaven for you, 5 who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.
- Heir-ship / possession of an inheritance
- Eternal Life / New heaven and new earth / reward . . . .
- Incorruptible, undefiled or fade away – that will be there in its glory forever!!
- It is kept in heaven for you
- Faith it is shielded by God’s power (no one can take it away – given by our faith in Christ)
- Given on the day of Salvation (Judgment) – that will be reviled – at the last time
- All ready / not yet (like an engagement)
- This helps me not to put my focus on here and now . . . but to spend and be spent for the glory of God
- These worlds should give us great confidence in our salvation, Great hope and joy for today, encouragement to keep going and keep the face and knowing of all that we have to look forward to!
- Because of God’s great mercy to us through the resurrection of Jesus
- Remember what it took to give us this living hope – we remember his suffering until he comes.