Simon Says – Part 13
If you want to live a life that glorifies God and leads people to Jesus, this message will provide focus on what you need to do to see these desires become reality.
Simon Says – A Study in 1st Peter
1 Peter 2:11-12 Altogether Different
Dave Spooner – Mosaic Rockford – April 19th, 2015
- If you want to live a life that glorifies God . . .
- If you want to live a life that leads people to Jesus . . . then
- Abstain from sin and engage in good
1 Peter 2:11-12 (NIV)
Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. 12 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.
- Dear Beloved
- Those who are loved by God . . .
- Those whom I love . . .
- I urge you
- Very strong encouragement . . . as a man who has seen it all – and lived it . . .
- This is what I am telling you to do – and do it with urgency
- He can’t say – I command you – or I force you
- The motivation has to come from within you
- Internal motivation vs. external
- Cannon ball vs. missile
- We don’t need any more cannon ball Christians
- We need missiles on a mission
- The motivation has to come from within you
Be an alien and stranger
- 3 times in the first two chapters Peter states that we are strangers . . .
- 1 Peter 1:1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To God’s elect, strangers in the world
- 1 Peter 1:17 live your lives as strangers here in reverent fear
- 1 Peter 2:11 as aliens and stranger in the world
- All of the people who are listed in the faith hall of fame (Heb. 11) are there because they fully embraced their identity as an alien and stranger . . .
Heb 11:13-16 (NIV)
They admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth. 14 People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own . . . they were longing for a better country — a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.
Heb 11:38 the world was not worthy of them.
- Now there is an inscription for a gravestone . . .
- We are people from another place . . . we need to live this way . . .
- In the world
- And we are in the world . . .
- We are to connect so we can affect
by abstaining from sinful desires
- We all have sinful desires . . .
- It is not a sin to be tempted . . .but it is a sin to give into temptation . . .
- We all have a sin nature . . . we were born this way . . .
- But we are born again with a new nature and we have to choose which nature we will follow . .
- Rom 7:20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
- Sinners saved by grace vs. Saints who occasionally sin
- We must abstain from participating with sinful desires
- Which war against your soul
- This is a sustained military campaign
- Put to death our sinful nature . . .
- Our real battle is not with people around us, but with passions within us.
- “I have more trouble with David Spooner than with any person I know.”
and living lives that are good
- Not participating in one thing so that we can participate in another
- We should be known more for what we stand for vs. what we stand against . . .
1 Peter 2:12 (NIV)
Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.
- There is a difference between The good life vs. the life that is good . . .
- Live such good lives . . . I want you to live a life that is so full of goodness . . . that when people look to accuse you of some wrong doing . . . they will see your good deeds . . .
- Focus on doing good – you will not have time to do what is bad . . .
- Be like Daniel . . .
- Dan 6:4-5
the other administrators and high officers began searching for some fault in the way Daniel was handling government affairs, but they couldn’t find anything to criticize or condemn. He was faithful, always responsible, and completely trustworthy.
- Here is the payoff – that they may glorify God on the day he visits us . . .
- They have given their hearts to God . . . because of our good lives . . .
- Live as aliens and strangers in the world by abstaining from sinful desires and living lives that are good so that your life will glorify God and bring people to him.
- Recommit yourself to living this way – go fully after this . . . be one who the world is not worth . . .