Rooted, Part 9
What philosophy, tradition and teaching has captured you? Anything not based in Christ is a deception and is destructive to your soul. This message provides tools for you to become fully free in Christ.
Rooted: Grow Deeper. Live Taller.
Part 9 What we have in Christ Col. 2:8-15
Mosaic Rockford – Dave Spooner – Oct. 9th, 2016
- What we going to talk about today is really important, because knowing what we have in Christ will keep you from be captured by philosophy, tradition and teaching that is not based in Christ as reviled in the Bible.
- I mentioned this in the passage from last week that this world is filled with spiritual counterfeits and con-men that are working to take your very soul captive
Do not be captured
Col 2:8 ESV
See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.
- “see to it” – be aware – be on your guard
- that “no one” – not your family, friends, teachers, (books, posts, speeches, websites), church . . .
- “takes you captive” – you can be taken captive (lead you astray as the prize)
- spiritual seduction and deception – Deception looks authentic (Ill. of counterfeit money) by:
- “Philosophy” – way of thinking / system of thought
- “Empty deceit” – they promise but never deliver
- Human tradition – Jewish / Catholic
- Elemental spirits – demonic teaching of the world (astrology, horoscopes, palm reading, fortune telling, witchcraft, teachings of angels, etc.)
- They are not based on, in, about, according to Christ
In Christ we have been given the fullness of God
Col 2:9 ESV
For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily,
- This points to his identity – fully God / fully human . . .
In Christ we have been filled
Col 2:10 ESV
and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority.
- We are filled with his fullness (Ill. of the ocean in the jar)
- When Christ fills you, you need nothing else, we are made complete in Christ
- Everything comes from him, and everything will give an account to him
In Christ we have been set free
Col 2:11 ESV
In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ,
- Explain Jewish circumcision and what it means
- Rom 2:28-29 ESV
For no one is a Jew who is merely one outwardly, nor is circumcision outward and physical. 29 But a Jew is one inwardly, and circumcision is a matter of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter. His praise is not from man but from God.
- We have been set free from following the desires of our flesh
- Set free from the trapping of ethnic identity, tradition and rituals
In Christ we have been buried and raised alive
Col 2:12-13a ESV
having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead. 13And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him,
- Baptism is an identification with Christ
- Baptism is an act of obedience in which we confess our faith and symbolize the essence of our spiritual experience. Faith is the cause of that experience and, apart from real faith, baptism is an empty, meaningless ceremony.
- Resurrection and new life come from being in Christ. Jesus said “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?” (John 11:25-27 ESV)
In Christ we have been acquitted
Col 2:13b-14 ESV
having forgiven us all our trespasses, 14 by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.
- We all have a record of trespasses, wrong doing and with it the legal demands of breaking the law.
- We have been acquitted and forgiven. Our record has been made clean because of what Christ did for us on the cross
- No need for anything else . . . no further payment is necessary . . .
In Christ we have been given victory
Col 2:15 ESV
He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him.
- The “rulers and authorities” have been “disarmed” –
- They will be seen in open shame and Christ is the victor and we are victorious through him
- He is our strong champion – he has and will defeat them all . . .