Rooted Series, Part 4
Only Jesus. Who He is and why this matters.
Rooted: Grow Deeper. Live Taller.
Part 4 Only Jesus Col. 1:15-20
Mosaic Rockford – Dave Spooner – Sept. 4th, 2016
- Today’s focus is Jesus, who he is and why this matters.
- Review of the letter so far: Paul introduces himself – commends them for what he had heard – prays for them -and then says, let me tell you about Jesus, who he and he alone is. He goes on to describe the most important person of all, for all time, in all places.
- All types of thoughts about who he is . . .
- Why is this important? – everything hinges on this. your religion . . . your life . . . your eternity, your very purpose and existence.
- Jesus is uniquely different than everyone and everything. Paul makes it plain, who He is.
Col 1:15-20 ESV
He is the image of the invisible God,
Only Jesus is the image of the invisible God
- God is invisible
- Jesus is “the exact representation of his being” Heb. 1:3 – Jesus is the part that we can see – if you want to know what God is like, look at Jesus the “Icon”. He is the only image of the invisible God
- Why does this matter? – One cannot have God the Father and reject God the Son. The implications are staggering . . .
the firstborn of all creation.
Only Jesus is the firstborn of all creation
- Not that Jesus was created first (as JW teach) but meaning “first in rank or honor” – The most exalted – the highest honor belongs to him.
- Why does this matter? – He is not one among others but one above all others. That he should receive all esteem, praise and honor from us. We should honor Christ above all things . . . (country, family, careers, pursuits). Do we have things that we esteem higher than Christ? In this misalignment, we cause pain, limitation and brokenness
16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him
Only Jesus is the creator of all things
- The source, the cause, the creator of all things. Not only did he create the tangible, but the intangible as well – thrones, or dominions or rulers or authorities – they were also created by Jesus in the heavenly realm and the earthly realm.
- Why does this matter? – this would is not an accident – there is intelligent design, not random with gives all things purpose, value and meaning know there is order in all things – which provides security for us. Knowing that He is the creator, he knows everything and everyone and has authority over everything.
and for him.
Only Jesus is the reason for all things
- All things were created through him and all things were created for Him.
- So we need to ask, how Jesus, is this going to serve you and how can we use this to glorify, honor and serve you?
- Why does this matter? – it gives us perspective (he is the owner, we are the caretakers). It calls us to commitment to him. It gives us hope that justice will be done – all things are under the authority of Christ and everything will give an account to him. It keeps us focused on our choices, efforts, motivations and responses.
- Only Jesus is the image of the invisible God
- Only Jesus is the firstborn of all creation
- Only Jesus is the creator of all things
- Only Jesus is the reason for all things
- There is no one or nothing comparable to Him.
- Who do you say that I am?