Rooted Series, Part 3
If one of the twelve apostles were to pray for you, what would he pray and how would this prayer impact you? This message looks at Paul, the apostle’s prayer for you and how what he prays will help you to be a person who grows deep and stands tall.
Rooted: Grow Deeper. Live Taller.
Part 3 Paul’s Profound Prayer Col. 1:9-14
Mosaic Rockford – Dave Spooner – August 28th, 2016
- Imagine what it would be like to be prayed for by an apostle . . .
- Paul’s Profound Prayer – he distills everything down to two things: know God’s will, walk God’s way – Grow deeper. Live Taller.
Col 1:9-14 ESV And so, from the day we heard,
- Inward possession of faith
- Outward demonstration of love
- Upward expectation of Hope
we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding,
Know God’s will
This is not just a one-time prayer of Paul, he prays this way over and over:
Phil 1:9 And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight,
Philem 6 I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ.
Eph 1:17 I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.
From the apostle Paul’s perspective, a deep, growing knowledge of Christ and His will is of the greatest importance to the spiritual life of all Christians
And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding,
- Filled with the knowledge of his will with all spiritual wisdom and understanding
- Know stuff – understand it (connect the dots) – and apply it with wisdom
So how do we get this knowledge, understanding and wisdom?
Ps 1:1-2 Blessed is the man . . . [whose] delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.
Josh 1:8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.
Deut 6:6-9 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
- And this is not just for the pastors, teachers, leaders – this is for everyone
Trans: Why is it important to be crammed full of knowledge of His will?
Walk God’s way
10 so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.
So that (resulting in)
- Walking in a manner worthy of the Lord (Jesus)
- Fully pleasing to him
- Bearing fruit in every good work
- Increasing in the knowledge of God
11 May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy,
- Walking is a worthy manner requires
- Strength (with all power, according to his glorious might)
- For all endurance . . . and patience . . . with joy . . .
- So what does this tell us –
- There will be things that require the strength of God, there will be tests that continue to come and will be a long time – and we are to do this in joy
12 giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. 13 He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
and giving thanks to the father for what He has done for us
- He qualified you . . . to share in the inheritance of the saints
- He delivered you . . . from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved son
- He redeemed you . . . from your sin
- Paul’s profound prayer
- That you will know God’s will and walk in God’s way
- Application commit ourselves to God’s word – meditate on it day and night / teach our children
- Take what we are going through in these series and spend time with it
- Walk in it – understanding that we need God’s power and strength, so we can have endurance, patience with joy, thanking God for what he has done for us and what He is giving to us.