Rooted, Part 12
Welcome to the big league! This message looks at what this means for you and the part you play on the team.
Rooted: Grow Deeper. Live Taller.
Part 12 Major League Col. 3:12-17
Mosaic Rockford – Dave Spooner – Nov. 6th, 2016
- I am going to use the baseball motif for this message today . . . in which I have entitled this message “Major League”.
- Try to imagine what it would be like to have been on this year’s Cubs team . . .
- God has a team as well, and you have been drafted to be on that team.
You have been drafted by God
Col 3:12a ESV
Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved,
- Chosen ones – his choice not your . . . you have been selected . . . (you have to accept and commit)
- Holy – this is what you are because this is what He has made you
- Beloved – you are loved – and nothing will ever change that
- This is who you are
You have been given a uniform
- Do you know what a uniform does for you? It lets other people know whose team you are on.
Col 3:12b-14 ESV
Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, 13 bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. 14 And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.
- Compassion – (shoes – walk in someone else’s – everyone has a story)
- Patience – (socks – you are going to be here for a while)
- Humility – arrogance (pants – you put your pants on just like everyone else, one leg at a time)
- Kindness – cruelty (undershirt – don’t get rubbed the wrong way)
- Bearing with one another (put up with) – (belt – hang in – hold things together)
- Forgiving (each other and the Lord has forgiven you – (Jersey – we are all a part of the same team)
- Meekness – (batting gloves – get a grip – having things under control)
- Love which binds everything together in perfect harmony– (hat – love brings it all together)
- Your cloths are what people see – it is not who you are but an expression of who you are
- Identity vs. activity
- Identity => activity = harmony
- Uniform for the “other team” – Coldness, inpatient, arrogance, cruelty, disposing, condemning, untameness, hateful
- Identity (activity) = disharmony
You have been given a playbook
Col 3:15 ESV
And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.
- Let the peace of Christ rule in your heart
- You can let it or not let it – this is a choice
- Rule – govern your heart
- Peace within yourself
- You were called in one body – peace between ourselves
- And be thankful . . . which helps us to have peace and harmony
You have been given a team
Col 3:16 ESV
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
- This is what we do when we come together . . .,
- Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly . . .
- Teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom
- Singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs
- With thankfulness in your hearts to God
You have been given a task
Col 3:17 ESV
And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
- What every you do or say – do it in the name of the Lord Jesus
- You now represent him – because you are on his team – (this is who we are playing for)
- Give thanks to God
- Know you have been drafted
- Put on your uniform, know the playbook, join with your team, go out and represent Jesus Christ