Rooted, Part 11
Do you want to be an “all in” Christian but feel like you continually trip up and hold back? Help is on the way.
Rooted: Grow Deeper. Live Taller.
Part 11 All in Christian Col. 3:1-11
Mosaic Rockford – Dave Spooner – Oct. 23rd, 2016
- Poker Ill.
- Paradox of the Christian faith:
Matt 16:25 ESV For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
- How to be an “all in Christian”
Go for gold
Col 3:1 ESV
If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
- If you are a Christian, then this is what you must do . . .
- What are you really seeking? . . . comfort, riches, power, relationship, recognition . . . are these things that you are seeking earthly or eternal? How to do define “success”
- If you are to be an “all in” Christian – you have to seek the things that are above – we need to chase different things than the world chases.
Be heavenly minded
Col 3:2-3 ESV
Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. 3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
- What are you thinking about? How can I please my heavenly father, what will make the most difference in eternity . . .
- What are you feeding your mind with???
- People who are seeking things above must think about things on earth differently. So being heavenly minded makes you free to be earthly good.
- That they have died to this world and their real life if hidden with Christ in God. And when Christ comes back in glory – they will also appear with him in glory.
Bury the dead
Col 3:5-7 ESV
Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. 6 On account of these the wrath of God is coming. 7 In these you too once walked, when you were living in them.
- definition of alive – change / active. So do not choose to animate those things that belong to your earthy nature.
- Puppet Ill
- Things that are earthly in us (made of dirt): sexual immorality (fornication/adultery/sexuality outside the prescribed bounds), impurity (things that taint us), passion (longing, lust, desire) evil desire (longing for what is forbidden), and covetousness (wanting what someone else has), which is idolatry. You either kill these things or they will kill you.
- God’s wrath is coming to because of these things – so don’t be walking and living in them.
Clean the closet
Col 3:8-9 ESV
But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth. 9 Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices
- Cast off – get rid of these things: anger (violent passion), wrath (fierceness), malice (badness, naughtiness, mischievous), slander (vilification), obscene talk (swearing) and lying
- All of these things belong to your old self – don’t walk in these things anymore
Dress for success
Col 3:10-11 ESV
and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator. 11 Here there is not Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, free; but Christ is all, and in all.
- Put on the new self – something different – which is being “renewed in knowledge” (which is a process word) to be like our creator . . . what is God like and what would he do?
- In this way we are all the same – no one is better than anyone, we are the same family. Our identity and loyalty and connectivity is Christ. Christ is all there is and in Christ is all we are.
- Challenge to be “all in” for Christ
- Review the points– go for gold, be heavenly minded, bury the dead, clean the closet, dress for success.
- Challenge to meditate on this and study it out.