Rooted Series, Part 1
Rooted is our new series. We will grow deeper and live taller as God speaks to us through the book of Colossians.
Rooted: Grow Deeper. Live Taller.
Part 1 Foundations Col. 1:1-2
Mosaic Rockford – Dave Spooner – August 14th, 2016
- Thrive and the image of a tree – He wants us to thrive for us and for what it means for the world
- Rooted: Grow Deeper Live Taller – the focus of this series
- Today’s focus is on foundations – we are looking at just two verses this morning.
Col 1:1-2 ESV
Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, 2 To the saints and faithful brothers in Christ at Colossae: Grace to you and peace from God our Father.
God has a person
- He always works through and in people
- He could do it all himself or use other things – but His message in its fullness in always carried by people
- He sends people because relationship is central to who He is
- God’s message came to you through people
- You are His person as well
an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God,
God has a plan
- For who we are and what we do
- What God call’s you, is what you are
- 1 Peter 2:9 ESV
you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession,
- He gives us identity
1 Cor 12:11 ESV
All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills.
- He gives us gifts
Rom 11:29-30 NIV
for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable.
- He does not take them back
He gives us identity and gifts and does not take it back.
and Timothy our brother,
God has a partner
- – in the work He has given to us
- God always gives us a partner
- Adam and Eve
- Noah and sons
- Daniel – and friends
- Elijah and Elisha
- David and Jonathan
- Jesus and the disciples
- Sent them out two by two
- Paul and Silas
- You are not alone and should never be alone . . .
To the saints and faithful brothers in Christ
God has a people
- – for us to focus on
- It is not everyone but someone . . . and keep your focus there
- He tailors the message through you to reach some
God has a place
- – for us to do his work
- You are given a place – a sphere of influence
- The right question – is this the place that you have called me to do my work
Grace to you and peace from God our Father.
God has a purpose
- – the offer of grace that gives us peace
- We have the offer of grace
- We are to be a people of grace
- With the result of this grace being peace
- God created you for a purpose to bring his message of grace that brings peace to a certain people in a specific place in partnership with other people
- This gives us value, identity purpose, focus and relationship
- What part of this do you need to work on?
- So what are you doing with this? How hard are you working? What are you doing?