What makes a nation great? What makes a great nation? This message encourages us to look to God’s word for the answers to these questions, and be equipped to do your part in the promise.
One Nation Under God
Mosaic Rockford – Dave Spooner – July 2nd, 2017
- July 4th is the day we celebrate and recognize the birth of our country as an independent nation
- IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776
The unanimous declaration of the thirteen united states of America
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. . .
. . . And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.
- From the founding of this country there was an acknowledgment of God as the creator and sovereign . . . with an understanding from scripture that God “has put everything under His feet” (I Cor. 15:27) and that all people “will give an account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead” (I Peter 4:5)
- Over 100 years after America declared its independence as a country, a national pledge was being formulated and adapted. One of the main motivations for a national pledge was to “instill into the minds of our American youth a love for their country and the principles on which it was founded, and create in them an ambition to carry on with the ideals which the early founders wrote into The Constitution”. The “pledge of allegiance” was formally adopted on June 14, 1954, by a joint resolution of congress and signed into law by president Eisenhower. Eisenhower stated:
“From this day forward, the millions of our school children will daily proclaim in every city and town, every village and rural school house, the dedication of our nation and our people to the Almighty…. In this way, we are reaffirming the transcendence of religious faith in America’s heritage and future; in this way, we shall constantly strengthen those spiritual weapons which forever will be our country’s most powerful resource, in peace or in war”.
- The pledge that we all learned in school is “I pledge allegiance to . . . “
- In recent days, a campaign for president with the slogan “Make America Great Again” won the presidency. There is a lot packed into this little slogan, and with many views of what it means and how it is to be accomplished.
- This morning we are going to look at God’s definition of what makes a nation great, and what makes a nation disintegrate.
Prov 14:34 NLT
Godliness makes a nation great,
but sin is a disgrace to any people.
- We are only as great as we are godly. If you want to make America great, then make America Godly.
Godliness makes a nation great
- (Righteousness exults a nation) Godliness = righteousness = right with God . . .
- suggestions of Godly characteristics and then extrapolate the implications (justice, honesty, love, responsibility, etc.)
Sinfulness makes a nation crumble
- Sin is a disgrace to any people = sin brings any people down, brings us low . . .
- Suggestions of sinful characteristics and then extrapolate the implications (lust, anger, pride, greed, etc.)
- Sin is never satisfied – it continues to get worse and worse (Rom. 1:18-31; Eph 4:19)
Our part in the promise
- And here is the promise, if we do our part, then God will do his part:
2 Chron 7:14 ESV
If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
- We do this first for our lives and family, then for the community/city and then for our nation and the world
- This is conditional, and it’s what our part of the equation is
- This is a call to “My people” this is a call to those who are His – those “called by my name” – not to those who are not . . . we are the ones in the driver’s seat – not anyone else . . .
- Humble ourselves – we are proud – bring ourselves low, recognize and acknowledge the true state of our lives . . . so many Christians are in denial . . .
- Pray to God . . . not work, not have meetings and committees, not organizations and positions . . . but pray first and foremost
- Seek His face – this is more than “requests” but relationship – know His face – not hand
- Turn from our wicked ways – again, there are those in the church, those called by His name, “wicked” – evil or bad . . . “ways” – a course of life or mode of action – this is a turning, going a new way – this is repentance . . . a change of heart and action
- Then, God will do the following:
- Hear from heaven – he will “hear” us and respond
- Forgive our sins – will not count those things against us . . .
- Heal our land – Starts with your land . . . make our lives, our family, our community, our nation healthy
- Recognize, we are only as great as we are Godly
- Sin is the great destroyer of homes, communities and nations
- Do your part in the promise of God to restore and establish health – life, liberty and happiness
Questions for the ride home:
- Talk about one thing that stood out to you from the message today.
- What do you need to do in your life to bring health and healing to your land?
- What do you need to do to bring health and healing to our community and nation?