This message focuses on Moms. They are a gift, and they should be celebrated!
Mom: We Love and Honor You
Mosaic Rockford – Dave Spooner – May 14th, 2017
- Today is the day that we are to show love and honor to our mothers. And to help us celebrate this epic day is an epic way – we have the epic mom video part 2
- Video: Epic Mom Part 2
- Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there – Sugar Jones on the way out . . .
- We are going to talk about the roles of mothers in our lives this morning.
Moms are important
- Development / Growth
Luke 2:52 NIV
And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.
- Favor with God
2 Tim 1:5 ESV
I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well.
- Favor with People
- These things are taught and modeled by our mothers
- Bonding and Value
- Attachment disorder
- Connection with others
- Security / comfort
- Constancy of love and presence
- Comfort of touch and familiarity
Moms have a difficult job
- Video: Job interview
- They have a never ending, tireless job . . .
- And they should be honored
Moms are to be honored
Eph 6:2-3 ESV
“Honor your father and mother” (this is the first commandment with a promise), 3 “that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land.”
- Rewards for honoring and consequence if you do not
- So it may go well with you
- So you may live long in the land
- Things never to do –
- take advantage of them . . .
- Abuse them in any way . . .
- Things to do – show her love
- Five Love Languages
- Quality Time. Just spending time with your Mom will mean the world to her: whether over a meal, taking a walk or talking over iced tea. Time together will make her feel loved.
- Physical Touch. Hugs, holding hands, or sitting close on a couch will make all the difference. This is my primary love language so touch is very powerful to me. This Mom is usually very affectionate. My own Mother was a “physical touch” Mom giving lots of hugs and kisses.
- Words of Affirmation. Sending a card, writing a personal note, making a phone call to tell her how much she means to you, or better yet, giving her praise in front of others. Words are the gift that will warm your Mom’s heart.
- Acts of Service. Mowing the lawn, painting a room, cleaning out the garage, repairing an appliance or any service project will mean so much to her. Knowing this Mom, she will be working right alongside you and love every minute of it.
- Receiving Gifts. Giving your mom that unique gift that says you know her means so much. Joy and excitement will be all over this Mom’s face the minute she sees the wrapped gift. She will take great delight in opening it and discovering the surprise inside.
- Give your mom some treasure – do things that she will be proud of
Luke 2:51 ESV
And his mother treasured up all these things in her heart.
- How to do so if they have passed away
- Visit the grave site, tell stories, remember, give a tribute . . .
- What if they were not a very good mother? – Honor what is honorable . . .
Questions for the ride home
- Share some of your memories about your mom.
- Do something special for your mom today that will show her love and honor.
- Encourage a mom you know in her calling as a mother.
- Moms are important, moms have a difficult job, moms are to be honored.
- Prayer for moms