Keep the Faith, Part 9, 1 John 4:1-6
Many people will try to deceive us in believing “truths” that are not of God. This messages helps us discover the implications of the truth and power of God that will keep us moving forward with confidence under His guidance and protection.
Keep the Faith Part 9
Test the Spirits 1 John 4:1-6
Mosaic Rockford – Dave Spooner – Feb. 28th, 2016
- The apostle John inspired by the Holy Spirit has been giving us many proofs to test ourselves to see if we are in the faith.
- He now turns and instructs us in chapter 4 how to test others to see if they are inspired by God or misleading us.
Don’t believe everything you hear
1 John 4:1a ESV
Beloved, do not believe every spirit,
Don’t believe everything you hear . . .
- We live in the age of information and misinformation
- Always check to see the source . . . what is inspiring them . . .
- I don’t pass many things along . . .
Test the spirits
1 John 4:1 ESV
but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.
- What is the source of the teaching: Human, Demonic or Holy
1 Tim 4:1 (ESV)
Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons
- Many false prophets have gone out into the world
- Charles Russell, the founder of the Jehovah Witnesses, claims Jesus as having been Michael the Archangel prior to his divesting himself of his angelic nature and appearing in the world as a man. Jesus is thus an angel who became a man. He is a godlike figure, but his is not God the Son, the second member of the Trinity, as the Bible teaches. Jehovah’s Witnesses are explicit in their denial of the deity of Jesus.
- According to Mormonism, there is a pantheon of gods, and God was once a man. Furthermore, Jesus, before his incarnation, was a created being and the brother of Lucifer. Jesus was born of Mary his mother, but he was not conceived by either Joseph or the Holy Spirit. A heavenly father, a god of flesh and bones, had sexual relations with Mary, and Jesus was conceived. Not only that, Jesus was the husband of both Mary and Martha (and perhaps Mary Magdalene as well) and had children by all of his wives. He was rewarded for his faithfulness by becoming the ruler of this earth.
- Mohammad – what did he say about Jesus – he is a prophet and not the God nor the son of God . . .
1 John 2:22-24
Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son. 23 No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also.
- Bible code . . . the secret message of the bible . . .
1 John 4:2-3 ESV
By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already.
- Here is the test – what do they say about Jesus? . . . .
- Spirit of the antichrist and the person of the antichrist
Know who you are
1 John 4:4 ESV
Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.
- You are from God . . . because you have been born of God . . .
- You have overcome them . . . those that want to trap you by philosophy and another gospel . . .
- Greater is He that is in us – than he that is in the world . . .
- We do not need to be afraid – but aware . . .
Check the Word
1 John 4:4 ESV
They are from the world; therefore they speak from the world, and the world listens to them. 6 We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error.
- Another indicator as proof of those who are from God – they listen to us (that is the writers of the Word) – those who do not pay attention or disregard the Bible are not of God.
- By this (that is the Word) we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error . . .
- Don’t believe everything you hear . . .
- Test the spirit in which they are speaking . . .
- Be confident as to who is in you and who you are . . .
- Get into the Word and get the Word into you . . .