Keep the Faith, Part 11, 1 John 5:1-5
Every family has certain characteristics and traits that run in the family line. We as Christians have been born into the family of God. Each person in God’s family has three telling traits. Listen to this message to learn more!
Keep the Faith Part 11
Three Telling Traits 1 John 5:1-5
Mosaic Rockford – Dave Spooner – March 13th, 2016
- Every Family has traits and characteristics that are shared together.
- Born of God – family traits . . .
- God’s desire for us is to conform us into the image of Christ
Rom 8:29 ESV
For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.
- The Three characteristics / traits / qualities of a Christian
- Every Christian must be a person of love, obedience and faith
The trait of love
1 John 5:1 ESV
Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him.
- Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ (the messiah, the anointed one) not that Jesus is a good teacher, moral person, great example, prophet, etc. . . .
- If you believe that Jesus is the Christ, then you have been born of God . . .
- Belief is an inward confidence/faith/trust that must be expressed outwardly in love toward the Father and towards others . . .
The trait of obedience
1 John 5:2-3 ESV
By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.
- And if you are asking the question, how am I to love – you love by
- Loving God . . .
- We express and show love to God in Obedience (not knowing, believing, sacrifice but doing)
- Obeying his commandments (authoritative prescription) . . .
- Loving God . . .
- And His commandments are not burdensome . . . (weighty) they are hard but they will not crush you – on the contrary they will give you life and strength and God also helps us with them. . .
The trait of faith
1 John 5:4-5 ESV
For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world— our faith. 5 Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
- If you have been born of God, then you will overcome the world
- This means to overcome our sinful nature and the pull (gravity) of the world
- We do this by focusing on Christ (parable of the seeds and soil . . . cares of the world and the deceitfulness of wealth)
Matt 16:24-27 ESV
“If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his life? Or what shall a man give in return for his life? 27 For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done.
- We do this by our faith – which gives us the Holy Spirit, which gives us a new nature, which gives us power
- And the only people who overcome the world are those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God.
- These are the three telling traits of a Christian – That we Love each other, that we are obedient to God, and we have faith that overcomes the world