Joshua: Gaining Ground, Part 5
This message focuses on what we must be in order to move forward with our lives into the land of promise.
Joshua: Gaining Ground
Part 5 What You Must Be To Move Forward Joshua 1:1-9
Mosaic Rockford – Dave Spooner – May 15th, 2016
- Last week we focused in on passing the baton . . . how to successfully pass things on to the next generation . . . success is succession
- We saw how Moses did this with Joshua just like others have done so with us.
- The “baton” is now in our hands and it is time for us to move forward.
- This morning we are going to focus on who we must be in order to move forward in our lives
You must be aware
Joshua 1:1-2 ESV
After the death of Moses the servant of the Lord, the Lord said to Joshua the son of Nun, Moses’ assistant, 2 “Moses my servant is dead. Now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, you and all this people, into the land that I am giving to them, to the people of Israel.
- Stop trying to resurrect the past and start focusing on moving forward . . .
- There is a time for grieving the past – the people of God did this after Moses died . . . for 30 days (Deut. 34:8)
- There is a time for everything under heaven (Eccl. 3:1-8)
- Motion vs. Movement (ill. of car stuck in ice/snow) we must be unstuck . . .
You must believe
Joshua 1:3-5 ESV
Every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given to you, just as I promised to Moses. 4 From the wilderness and this Lebanon as far as the great river, the river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites to the Great Sea toward the going down of the sun shall be your territory. 5 No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life. Just as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you or forsake you.
- You must believe that there is a brighter tomorrow – we are to be people of hope
- Don’t stop believing
- Believe you have a hope and a future
- Believe their truly is a promise land
- Believe you can overcome obstacle
- Believe that God is with you
You must be strong and courageous
Joshua 1:6-7a ESV
Be strong and courageous, for you shall cause this people to inherit the land that I swore to their fathers to give them. 7 Only be strong and very courageous,
- Be strong and courageous
- Why? Because you are going to face difficulties . . .
- God tells him 3 times to be these things . . .
- Strong – to fasten upon; hence, to seize; to bind, restrain, conquer:
- Courageous – alert, physically or mentally
- You have to have both strength and courage . . . if you have strength and no courage you will fail if you have courage without strength you will fail
You must be focused
Joshua 1:7b-9 ESV
being careful to do according to all the law that Moses my servant commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may have good success wherever you go. 8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
- Do not get sidetracked . . . (story of the turtle and the hare)
- If you are not focused, you will be forgetful and if you are forgetful you will be foggy and if you are foggy you will be lost
- What is your real goal . . . who are you aiming to please and what are you trying to accomplish?
- Keep first things first