Joshua: Gaining Ground, Part 4
Passing the baton to the next generation of those who are following us is a transition of vital importance for long term success. This message will strengthen and encourage you as we focus on how to do this well.
Joshua: Gaining Ground
Part 4 Passing the Baton Deut. 3 & 32
Mosaic Rockford – Dave Spooner – May 8th, 2016
- This morning we are looking at how we can best prepare and successfully pass the baton to the next generation of leaders.
- Passing the baton is a critical transition point
- of relay race
- You can have the best runners in the meet but if you don’t pass the baton well you will lose the race.
- We will all pass the baton to someone . . . so let’s make sure we do this correctly – one leader to another – one generation to another
- The first thing you must do, as Moses did with Joshua is to
Build on your successes
Deut 3:21-22 ESV
I commanded Joshua at that time, ‘Your eyes have seen all that the Lord your God has done to these two kings. So will the Lord do to all the kingdoms into which you are crossing. 22 You shall not fear them, for it is the Lord your God who fights for you.’
- You have a history – you have success – everyone does
- Take an inventory of what they are . . .
- Share the experience and pass on the information . . .
- Use these successes as a spring board to the future . . .
Encourage those next in line
Deut 3:27-28 ESV
Go up to the top of Pisgah and lift up your eyes westward and northward and southward and eastward, and look at it with your eyes, for you shall not go over this Jordan. 28 But charge Joshua, and encourage and strengthen him, for he shall go over at the head of this people, and he shall put them in possession of the land that you shall see.
- Everyone needs encouragement
- By telling them what you see
- going forward . . .
- within them . . .
Strengthen those next in line
- Giving them experience – things they can win and also expand their horizons
- Giving them expertise – tell and show them what to do – don’t do it for them but with them
- Giving them equipment – tools and finances . . .
Take the word to heart
Deut 32:46-47 ESV
“Take to heart all the words by which I am warning you today, that you may command them to your children, that they may be careful to do all the words of this law. 47 For it is no empty word for you, but your very life, and by this word you shall live long in the land that you are going over the Jordan to possess.”
- Something you believe personally
- So you can teach them
- So they can prosper and have life
- So you can teach them
- Not just for today – but for the long term
- inheritance – relational, spiritual, mental, financial
- Think about your children / grandchildren / great grandchildren
- Long term success is succession – invest in your children – invest in your successor
- Build on your successes – tell the stories from you past – show them how
- Encourage and Strengthen those who are next in line – speak words of encouragement leave gifts of strength
- Take the word to heart – believe and live it out with your whole heart
- Think generationally – take time today to thank those who have gone before you, spend time listening to the and then give yourself to those who are coming after you.