Joshua: Gaining Ground, Part 3
This message focuses on what we need to do in order to move forward in our lives – gaining responsibility, respect and recognition from the Lord and from others.
Joshua: Gaining Ground
Part 3 Rewards of Faithfulness Numbers 27:15-23
Mosaic Rockford – Dave Spooner – May 1st, 2016
- Encouragement to define their goals and keep living out of faith
- Because of the lack of faith from the people and their choice to live in fear, it was 40 more years until they had their next opportunity to go into the land.
- During those 40 years they tried to go forward without the Lord’s hand with them and they were defeated. There was also continual internal turmoil and conflict between the people and the leaders; the people and the Lord; and the people and the inhabitance of the land with no real further progress as a community.
- God revealed to Moses that his time on earth was coming to an end, and Moses asked the Lord to provide someone to take his place and the choice was Joshua.
- This morning we are going to look at why Joshua was chosen and in order for us to move forward positional in our lives – gaining responsibility, respect and recognition – this is what we need to do.
Num 27:15-17 ESV
Moses spoke to the Lord, saying, 16 “Let the Lord, the God of the spirits of all flesh, appoint a man over the congregation 17 who shall go out before them and come in before them, who shall lead them out and bring them in, that the congregation of the Lord may not be as sheep that have no shepherd.”
Be a leader
- Be the example (go out before them / come in before them)
- Understand what needs to be done
- Where and where we need to go out
- Where and when we need to go in
- Do what needs to be done
Be a shepherd
- This is a person who watches over and cares for others
- Pay attention to those around you
- The people are the project
Num 27:18 ESV
So the Lord said to Moses, “Take Joshua the son of Nun, a man in whom is the Spirit, and lay your hand on him.
Be filled with the Spirit
- To be filled with anything you have to empty it first
- We can only have so much
- You have to want more of what you don’t have then what you have
- To be filled you have to put yourself under the source
- Go to and get under God
- This is not just a onetime occurrence – this is continual –
- This is what the Spirit gives to us
2 Tim 1:7 ESV
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
- These are three things you must have in order to be promoted
- So how do you know if you have “run dry” of the Spirit? When you are experiencing fear, and lacking in power, love and self-control.
Be fully following the Lord
Num 32:11-13 ESV
Surely none of the men who came up out of Egypt, from twenty years old and upward, shall see the land that I swore to give to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, because they have not wholly followed me, 12 none except Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite and Joshua the son of Nun, for they have wholly followed the Lord.
- Not holding back something from Him . . .
- You will never regret in eternity what is given to the Lord
- You will never regret in eternity fully following the Lord
- He is good and you can trust Him
- Having his promotion and favor is what matters . . .
- Responsibility, Respect and Recognition were given as the rewards of faithfulness
Num 27: 19 -23 ESV
Make him stand before Eleazar the priest and all the congregation, and you shall commission him in their sight. 20 You shall invest him with some of your authority, that all the congregation of the people of Israel may obey. 21 And he shall stand before Eleazar the priest, who shall inquire for him by the judgment of the Urim before the Lord. At his word they shall go out, and at his word they shall come in, both he and all the people of Israel with him, the whole congregation.” 22 And Moses did as the Lord commanded him. He took Joshua and made him stand before Eleazar the priest and the whole congregation, 23 and he laid his hands on him and commissioned him as the Lord directed through Moses.
- Be a leader
- Be a shepherd
- Be filled with the Spirit
- Be fully following the Lord