Hot Topics, Part 5
Abortion is a modern day epidemic that terminates the life of the most vulnerable and dependent among us. At the end of this message, there is a question and answer time with Tiffany Staman from the Rockford Pregnancy Care Center.
Hot Topics Series
The Bible, Abortion and Culture
Dave Spooner – Mosaic Rockford – Sept. 20th, 2015
- Question and answer time with Tiffany Staman at the end of my presentation
- Another difficult topic – that needs also to be handled with truth and grace. We don’t like to talk about it, but we need to.
- Understanding the scope of abortion
- Abortion is one of the most common medical procedures performed in the United States each year
- According to the Guttmacher Institute, since 1973, roughly 50 million legal induced abortions have been performed in the United States.
- Currently, there are about 1.2 million abortions are performed each year in the United States.
- Worldwide, some 20-30 million legal abortions are performed each year, with another 10-20 million abortions performed illegally
- In 2011, unmarried women accounted for 85.5% of all abortions
- 22% of all pregnancies end in abortion.
- At current rates, one in 10 women will have an abortion by age 20, one in four by age 30 and three in 10 by age 45.
- Why to people consider this? – fear, shame, embarrassment, timing, finances, relationships, force, . . .
- On average, women give at least 3 reasons for choosing abortion: 3/4 say that having a baby would interfere with work, school or other responsibilities; about 3/4 say they cannot afford a child; and 1/2 say they do not want to be a single parent or are having problems with their husband or partner
- Philosophical arguments
- Those who are pro-life and those who are pro-choice begin their argument from opposite positions. Those in favor abortion emphasize the rights of the mother and especially her right to choose; those opposed to abortion emphasize the rights of the unborn child, and especially his or her right to live. The first see abortion as a little more than a retroactive contraceptive, and second as little less than prenatal infanticide.
- Fetus as an inanimate object – The fetus belongs to the woman who bears it, and that the decision to abort or not to abort rests entirely with the woman. Since it is her body, it is also her choice.
- What about rape . . . two wrongs do not make a right
- How about life threatening to the Mother? Less than one percent of abortions are performed to save the life of the mother . . .
- Medical Evidence
- The moment the ovum is fertilized by the penetration of the sperm, the twenty-three pairs of chromosomes are complete, the zygote has a unique genotype which is distinct from both parents, and the child’s sex, size and shape, color of skin, hair and eyes, temperament and intelligence are already determined. Between these two points (fertilization and maturity) forty-five generations of cell divisions are necessary and forty-one of them occur before birth.
3 Weeks after fertilization the eyes and spinal cord are visible and the developing brain has two lobes. 4 Weeks after Fertilization the heart is beating and a circulatory system is in place. Specific brain components and internal organs such as the lungs are beginning to develop and can be identified. The head and body are distinguishable, as are also the rudimentary eyes, ears and mouth. At 7 weeks after fertilization muscles and nerves begin working together. When the upper lip is tickled, the arms move backwards. The cerebrum has divided into hemispheres and brain function can be detected. At eight weeks all the child’s limbs are apparent, including fingers. , fingerprints and toes. At nine weeks more than 90% of the body structures found in a full-grown human are present. The baby can use his or her hands to grasp and moth to swallow, and can even suck his or her thumb. At 10 weeks after fertilization all parts of the brain and spinal cord are formed. The heart pumps blood to every part of the body. The whole body is sensitive to touch except for portions of the head. The preborn human makes facial expressions. By thirteen weeks, the completion of the first trimester, the embryo is completely organized and a miniature baby lies in the mother’s womb; the baby can alter position, respond to pain, noise and light, an even get a fit of hiccups. From then on the child merely develops in size and strength.
- Biblical passages
Ps 139:13-16 (NLV)
You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. 14 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it. 15 You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.16 You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out
before a single day had passed.
Jeremiah 1:5 (NIV)
Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart.
Isa 44:2 (NIV)
This is what the Lord says — he who made you, who formed you in the womb
Ps 82:3-4 (NIV)
Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. 4 Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.
John 21:16 (NIV)
Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you truly love me?” He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you. “Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”
Rom 13:10 (NIV)
Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
- Especially your enemies . . .
- The real enemy is the devil and philosophy . . .
The Real Victims
- Women – There is growing evidence of the harmful effects of abortion on women, including higher rates of depression, self-harm, psychiatric hospitalization and suicide, as well as a significantly increased incidence of premature labor in subsequent pregnancies. – Emotional and spiritual – shame
- Men . . . .
- Children . . . .
- Girls – abortion has also become the driving force in eliminating females around the globe. Estimates put the global gender gap somewhere between 100 and 200 million people. Abortion has become the most effective means of sexism ever devised, ridding the world of multitudes of unwanted females.
- Minorities . . . black children are aborted at 5 times the rate of white children and Hispanic children don’t fare much better. Abortion is the leading cause of death among black Americans
- Families – Grandparents, Parents, aunts uncles,
What We Can Do
- Women who choose to have children
- Prolife Centers
- Prolife cause / Laws
- Adopt / Foster
- Promote and Educate
Questions and Answers
- Our Guest Tiffany Staman from the Pregnancy Care Center of Rockford
- When people are coming in to the center and are considering an abortion, what do you say and how do you interact with them?
- What are the best ways for us to minister to people who have had abortions?
- What are the best ways for us to be pro-life?
- Questions from the floor
- Prayer people (Tiffany)