Hot Topics, Part 1
This message is the first in our new series “Hot Topics”. It focuses on sex by comparing common cultural thoughts with what the Bible teaches.
Hot Topics Series
What the Bible says about Sex
Dave Spooner – Mosaic Rockford – Aug.23rd , 2015
- Today we start our “hot topic” series covering the subjects of Sex, Pornography, Homosexuality, Abortion, and a “what about . . . . “ category
- Comparing common cultural thoughts and what the Bible teaches.
- I will try to give a balanced approach to this, we can get into trouble in one ditch or the other
- Fireplace Ill.
- Provide, light, warmth, intimacy and connection
- Outside the fire place it can cause a lot of damage
Cultural thought: God is anti-sex
Biblical truth: God is pro-sex
- He designed sex to provide
- Relational intimacy
Gen 2:18-25 NIV
The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.” . . . 21 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.
23 The man said, “This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ‘woman, ‘for she was taken out of man.”
24 For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.
25 The man and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame.
- Physical pleasure
Prov 5:18-19 (NLV)
Let your wife be a fountain of blessing for you. Rejoice in the wife of your youth. 19 She is a loving deer, a graceful doe. Let her breasts satisfy you always. May you always be captivated by her love.
Song of Solomon
Gen 1:26-28 NIV
God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it
- As a Spiritual object lessons
Eph 5:31-32 NIV
“For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” 32 This is a profound mystery — but I am talking about Christ and the church.
- A covenant relationship – one to one
- Sexual confusion in Corinth
- Do whatever
- Don’t do anything
1 Cor 7:2-9 NIV
But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband. 3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 The wife’s body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband’s body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife. 5 Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
- Help each other
- Hard heart
- Not as a weapon
- Get help
Cultural thought: As long as people love each other, sex is okay with God
Biblical truth: The Bible prohibits all sexual relationships outside of marriage
- You shall not commit adultery (Exod. 20:14)
- Abstain from . . . sexual immorality (Acts 15:29)
- Flee from sexual immorality (1 Cor. 6:18)
- We should not commit sexual immorality (I Cor 10:8)
- But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality (1 Thess. 4:3)
- Why . . . to protect us (Rom 6:23)
- Rom 6:23 NIV
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- There is a death that comes to us in sin
- Spiritual – blurs the image of God
- Relational – Emotional pain
- Physical – (Std’s)
- Mental – thoughts
- Hampers sexual satisfaction
- Forbidden fruit principle
- Sexual Satisfaction Surveys
Cultural thought: Sexual lust is so powerful, nothing can loosen its grip on my life
Biblical truth: Christ died to pay for the penalty of your sin and break its power in your life
- The truth will set you free
- Get help
- Avoid / flee
- Focus on what you want to be
- Keep the fire in the fireplace
- Honor and trust the Lord
- Get help when you need it