Heroes of Faith: Noah
We all love heroes! These are the people that save the day, provide inspiration and give us the courage to act. Our new series will highlight 9 biblical heroes of faith. In this message we are looking to Noah who shows us what to do in a world gone mad … and what we see may not be what you expected.
Heroes of Faith: Noah
What to do in a world gone mad
Mosaic Rockford – Dave Spooner – Feb. 5th
- We are going to be looking into the lives of nine different Heroes of Faith from the Bible. From each of their lives and in their time, we are going to learn relevant principles for our lives in our time as to what to do as people of faith.
- If you have not noticed, there is along going on in our country and in our world right now . . .
- Today we are looking at the life of Noah to lean from him what to do in a world gone mad. So let’s see what was going on then and how he responded as a hero of the faith
Gen 6:5-10 ESV
The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And the Lord was sorry that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart. 7 So the Lord said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens, for I am sorry that I have made them.”
- If you think things are bad now, they have not reached to this level of wickedness . . .
- What we learn about God in this passage, is that he sees our actions and our motives and our thoughts
- God is not indifferent to these things – but it does move him . . . “sorry that he had made man” and it “grieved him to his heart”
- There will be an account given to him about these things, He the one that knows all, sees all and is above all will give a just and true judgment . . .
8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord.
- This is what I want . . .
- I read a commentary on this passage is pass week and I thought this was an interesting perspective.
“The main purpose of the story of the flood is not to show why God sent a flood but rather to show why God saved Noah. The point is clear enough: God delivers those who “walk with” him and who do not corrupt his way. Noah’s life if a picture of simple obedience to God’s commands and trust in his provision.” Biblical Expository Commentary
- So if you want to know what to do in a world gone mad – if you want to have God’s favor, then this is what you need to do – follow the footprints of Noah.
9 These are the generations of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, blameless in his generation. Noah walked with God. 10 And Noah had three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth.
Be righteous and blameless in your generation
- First, instead of railing at the world, you must focus on who you are.
- Are you righteous? – characterized by uprightness or morality: morally right or justifiable: acting in an upright, moral way; virtuous:
- Are you blameless? – without blemish, free from or not deserving blame; guiltless: without fault Il. of Daniel Dan 6:4-5 they could find no ground for complaint or any fault, because he was faithful, and no error or fault was found in him.
- Root and the fruit . . .
- Our generation only has us as present physical examples. We are it.
- This is the first thing we need to do, is to look to ourselves . . .
Walk with God
- Noah walked with God.
- More than just being a moral person, but walking with God.
- Knowing him, being in relationship and learning from Him, spending time with Him.
- Going in his direction, – God did not walk with Noah, but Noah walked with God – going at his pace a with Him,
- First thing, look at who you are, second, look at who you are walking with, third
Take care of your family
- “And Noah had three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth”.
- Who he was, who he walked with, and his primary roll – that as a parent . . . (not Noah had three businesses, three awards, three titles, three houses, three wives)
- Take care of your family and those entrusted to you . . . not only did he save himself, but he saved his family – they followed him . . . because he focused on them . . .
- Those who are the most connected to you are those who are the most affected by you
Be a people of new life and hope for the world
Gen 6:14 ESV
Make yourself an ark of gopher wood. Make rooms in the ark, and cover it inside and out with pitch
Gen 9:1-2 ESV
And God blessed Noah and his sons and said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth”.
- They were a source of new life . . .
- They were a source of great hope . . .
- This is who we are to be as well.
- Who are you, who do you walk with, who do you care for, what are you here for?
- In a world gone mad, be righteous and blameless, walk with God, take care of your family be people of new life and hope.