What do you think of when you think about church? Do you think of singing, or preaching, or community or . . . something else? This message focuses on what Jesus says about God’s house and what that means for your life and our lives together as Mosaic.
God’s House – Mark 11:15-18
Mosaic Rockford – Dave Spooner – July 10th, 2016
- The focus of today’s message is God’s desire and design for His house, His Church with implications of your connection to, and part in, His house.
- Background of what is happening here – final week before the Crucifixion . . .
Mark 11:15 ESV
And they came to Jerusalem. And he entered the temple and began to drive out those who sold and those who bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons.
- God’s house is not a place for personal financial gain by taking advantage of people’s desire for God.
- This is one of the things that makes God angry
Mark 11:16 ESV
And he would not allow anyone to carry anything through the temple.
- God’s house is not a short cut for you to get to where you are really want to go . . .
Mark 11:17a ESV
And he was teaching them and saying to them, “Is it not written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations’?
- “Is it not written” – is a quote from Isaiah 56
God’s house is personal
- It is important for us to know who’s house this is . . . who the owner is . . .
- Not an institution or an organization or a movement or a system of beliefs but a house . . .
- A place of connection, a place of identity, a place of collaboration, a place of protection, a place of support, a place of motivation, a place of correction, a place of comfort, a place of love and grace and truth . . .
- One of the qualifications of someone who is to be considered to be a candidate for an overseer of the church (I Tim. 3:4-5)
God’s house is spiritual
- House of prayer
- The main activity should be spiritual . . . connecting to God . . .
God’s house is multicultural
- For all nations . . .
- This is for all people . . .
- Not a fortress but a force . . .
Mark 11:17b-18 ESV
But you have made it a den of robbers.” 18 And the chief priests and the scribes heard it and were seeking a way to destroy him, for they feared him, because all the crowd was astonished at his teaching.
- Den of robbers – a hiding place to take from people . . .
- And these are the very people that killed Jesus . . . because they feared him . . . why because he had more influence than them . . . they were not interested in truth and God by were focused on what was in it for them, there power and control . . .
- So what that means for your life and our lives together as Mosaic.
- God is ultimately in charge . . .
- We are a family; a house – primary identity is a Christian . . . I will always do my best to be a good family member . . .
- We are a house of prayer – our primary focus and function is spiritual . . .
- We are for all nations . . . send to the world we open up for the world . . .