Advent 5 – Christmas Morning
God’s declaration to Mary through the Angel Gabriel of who this child would be changed the course of history and altered all of eternity. This message investigates why “he will be” matters to you.
Advent: Prepare the Way of the Lord
Part 5 He Will Be
Mosaic Rockford – Dave Spooner – Dec. 25th, 2016
- Summation of the series: Hope, Love, Joy, Peace
- Today, we are focusing on the passage of the Christmas story where the angel Gabriel announces to Mary her part in God’s plan and what the child she will bear will become.
Luke 1:26-31 ESV
In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, 27 to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. And the virgin’s name was Mary. 28 And he came to her and said, “Greetings, O favored one, the Lord is with you!” 29 But she was greatly troubled at the saying, and tried to discern what sort of greeting this might be. 30 And the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God.
- Favor with God does not mean “a life of ease”. Being chosen to do something, to have a gift, favor. And there will be great blessing from it, and there will be hardship along with it. Take Mary’s life for example . . .
- So, you have been “favored” don’t be afraid, but develop the gift that you have been given and expect to have to pay the price.
- God’s declaration to Mary through the Angel Gabriel of who this child would be, changed the course of history and altered all of eternity and this Christmas morning we will find out why “he will be” matters to you.
Luke 1:31-33 ESV
And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus.
He will be named
- Jesus – Jehovah Saves
- Saves from what? . . .
- This is his primary role
- This is who he is – the one who saves – the savior
- What this means to you – you need one (which should enhance your humility and dependence) – you have one – this should enhance your thankfulness, this should enhance you honor and worship
Luke 1:31-33 ESV
And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. 32 He will be great
He will be great
- Magas – big, high, large, mighty
- So how did he do this?
- Descending into greatness
Phil 2:5-11 NIV
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death — even death on a cross! 9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name,
- In God’s kingdom, the way up, is the way down
- Recognize what God has done through his son is showing us his character
Matt 23:11-12 ESV
The greatest among you shall be your servant. 12Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
- This is how this can matter to you. I want to help you with your new year’s resolutions. And I want to help you with your future plans. Where can you best serve? Where can you make the most impact?
- This is an act of faith – using a kingdom principle
Luke 1:31-33 ESV
And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High
He will be called
- Son of the most high – the Son of God –
Heb 1:3 NIV
The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being,
- If you want to know what God is like, look at the son.
- This will help you to think clearly about God.
- Why does this matter, because all people live out of there concept of God.
- So by knowing Jesus – you will know how to live your life
- Make a study this year of Jesus – who he is – and then strive to live like him.
Luke 1:31-33 ESV
And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.”
He will be king
- God will give him the throne of his father David
- He will perfectly rule after God heart – as a tender warrior – with honesty, wisdom and Justus,
- He will reign over the house of Jacob forever
- How do you get into this house? – by being born into it
John 1:12-13 ESV
But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, 13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
- His kingdom there will be no end
- There is and will be no one else that will take over
- So how does this matter to you?
- Make sure you are in his family
- Don’t think there is another way – and this is how it will be forever
- Understand how a kingdom works – this is where your identity comes from
- Enjoy the relationships and responsibilities of being a kingdom citizen
- So this is the promised one – His name is Jesus, and he will be great, he is the son of the most high God, he is the king of all kings and the Lord of all Lords. There is no one like him, and there will ever be no one like him.
- Take from what is given from the Lord today and apply it to your life.