Christmas Series, Part 4
This message focuses on maintaining and expanding peace in our lives.
Christmas Series Part 4
The Power of Peace
Dave Spooner – Mosaic Rockford – Dec. 20th, 2015
• Christmas is the season of peace. And I want peace to be a part of your life all year round.
• So if this is your desire, I am going to tell you what you can do so peace will be yours.
Have peace by consistent praying
Phil 4:6-7 NIV
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
• To combat anxiety, mix your prayers with thankfulness and receive the peace of that “transcends” (that is complexly different from understanding) that will guard you heart and mind being placed in Christ Jesus.
• And this is what Jesus says to us
John 14:27 NIV
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
Have peace by controlled thinking
Rom 8:6-7 NIV
The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace
• You get control of your mind – don’t let fear, or sin, or worry, or whatever control it.
Phil 4:8-9 NIV
whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable — if anything is excellent or praiseworthy — think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me — put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.
• When you do this you will have peace . . . thought + actions
Have peace by choosing peace
Rom 14:19 NIV
Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification
• Some people don’t choose this, they choose war, or being right, or getting revenge, or proving their point . . .
Rom 12:18-19 NIV
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
• So you choose to live in peace, stop starting things . . . and live in peace
Have peace by doing good
Rom 2:9-11 NIV
There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; 10 but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11 For God does not show favoritism.
• This a formula with no exceptions . . .
• If you want trouble and distress – choose to do evil
• If you want glory, honor and peace – choose to do good
Have peace by trusting Christ
Col 1:19-20 NLT
For God in all his fullness was pleased to live in Christ, 20 and through him God reconciled everything to himself. He made peace with everything in heaven and on earth by means of Christ’s blood on the cross.
• If you want to see God, look at Jesus, and through him God brought everyone and everything to himself – through the blood of the Christ on the cross.
Rom 5:1b-2 NIV
we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand.
• Peace with God is your when you place your trust in Christ in which we stand now in grace
• Make this choice today
• Have peace by – consistent praying
• Have peace by – controlled thinking
• Have peace by – choosing peace
• Have peace by – doing good
• Have peace by – trusting Christ
• Prayer people
2 Thess 3:16 NIV
Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you.