Peace is an allusive quality that all desire and few maintain. This message focuses on how you can create more peace in your life.
Advent: Prepare the Way of the Lord
Part 4 Creating Peace
Mosaic Rockford – Dave Spooner – Dec. 18th, 2016
- Candles of Advent – Hope, Love, Joy (joy from participation and anticipation – both gifts of God).
- Peace does not happen on its own, chaos, confusion and conflict happen on their own, peace must be worked for. (and it does not come in a bottle of any form . . .)
- There are ways in which you can create more peace in your life, and today we are going to talk about three of these ways.
- The first is, organizational peace
Creating peace through process
1 Cor 14:33 ESV
For God is not a God of confusion but of peace.
- The verse in context . . . (a lot of very good things, but they needed to be done in order, there needed to be a process
- Most of us have a ton of things coming our way, you need to organize your schedule and organize your life . . . process does produce peace
- The second is, relational peace
Creating peace through pursuit
Rom 14:19 ESV
So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.
- Pursue means you must go after it
- Focus what you have in common not what you don’t have in common
- Look for the good in people
- Look at a person holistically, truthfully and honestly
1 Peter 3:10-11 ESV
Whoever desires to love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit; 11 let him turn away from evil and do good; let him seek peace and pursue it.
- If you want to love life, and see good days – don’t talk evil and don’t spread deceit – don’t do evil but do good – seek peace and pursue it.
- Are you seeking peace in your relationships? . . .
Rom 12:18 NIV
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
- The third is, inner peace
Creating peace through prayer
Phil 4:6-7 ESV
do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
- Do not be anxious (nervous, concerned, worried, uneasy, apprehensive) about anything, in my flesh, I am anxious about everything . . . (this is a command, by the way).
- So, how can we combat this? By prayer, supplication with thanksgiving . . . making our requests known to God.
- And after we have done this, the peace of God, which surpasses (is above) all understanding takes up a guard around your heart and your mind . . .
- For organizational peace – create peace through process
- For relational peace – create peace through pursuit
- For inner peace – create peace through prayer
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder,
and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7 Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.